Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Catch up post + a treat

It has been a while between posts, but I've been cooking! Time to catch up:

Pear & Gorgonzola Salad:

It was almost funny for me to see a recipe for this pear and gorgonzola salad which is so ubiquitous these days. But then I thought about when it was published, 14 years ago, and how it was probably pretty modern at that point. I make some combination of this salad for so many occassions, and often throw in some sort of glazed or spicy nut for a little crunch. This time I did it with some great arugula I picked up at the farmers market, and as usual it was yummy

Chicken Under a Brick



I actually really liked this technique for cooking the chicken, it was the first time I had tried it this way, and found it much easier than I had expected. I had the butcher butterfly the chicken for me so that was super easy. I doubled the rub as I like a lot of flavor on/under my chicken and salted it first, which I think helped (but I'm also a salt fiend!) Chris loved the skin, while the meat came out moist and not over cooked. I was worried it was going to stick to the pan but shockingly it didn't. I'm not sure if I can say I prefer this over the Zuni roasting method but it was a nice change of pace

I might skip the spaghetti with fried eggs recipe-- I'm a big fan of carbonara type preparations, I'm just trying to eat healthy these days (trying to lose this nursing weight!) and there is no way of pretending that one is even close! Besides, I'm eager to get to the braised squid preparation!

Treat


For the treat, I thought I would share the valentines treats I made for Elisha's preschool class. I got the idea and recipes for the black and white brownies from Smitten Kitchen. I love her writing, ideas and recipes! Elisha loved helping with the cutting out of the hearts. They came out a bit dry so they cracked a bit, but were tasty and still very cute.



I got the template for the toppers from another blog, LivingLocurto.com, and then customized it a bit. You print them on cardstock and then staple them on the top of ziploc bags, and they look really snazzy and professional. I will definitely use this type of idea for lots of other applications, including goody bags for Mr. Joshua's one year birthday party, which is approaching far too rapidly!
T

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerilyn said...

These brownies and the packaging are beyond cute! Love the heart cut-out!!

That chicken looks killer and I would have eaten up all the skin with Chris!

Sorry I have not been able to cook anything guys. Our kitchen is being remodeled so for the last month we've had no stove, no sink, no dishwasher and our refrigerator is in the dining room! I'm hoping its back in business within 2-3 more weeks and then I'll do a lot of cooking to catch up!

10 March, 2011 00:04  
Blogger Kaoru said...

Ohhh, I love those brownie gift bags you made! I'm sure they were a big hit at school.

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for J's birthday.

10 March, 2011 21:54  
Blogger Kaoru said...

Jer -- Had no idea what a huge project you had going on!

10 March, 2011 21:55  
Blogger Unknown said...

201510.9dongdong
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote Bag
Air Jordan 6 Champagne Bottle
Jordan 8 Phoenix Suns
ralph lauren
michael kors outlet online
Louis Vuitton Belts On Sale
cheap jordans,jordan shoes,cheap jordan shoes
Gucci Outlet Store Locations
canada goose jackets
Outlet Michael Kors Handbags
Abercrombie & Kent Luxury Travel
Coach Factory Outlet Clearance
Louis Vuitton Clearance Sale
michael kors uk
canada goose jackets
mihchael kors bag
nike trainers
Coach Outlet Online Discount Sale
Louis vuitton Official Website Outlet Online
Michael Kors Designer Handbags Outlet Online
Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts Clearance
Hollister Tees for Men
Designer Louis Vuitton Bags Discount
ugg boots sale
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
Louis Vuitton Purses For Cheap
New Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Online
Coach Luggage Bags Outlet Sale Online

08 October, 2015 20:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home