Monday, February 26, 2007

Kate : No-knead Bread


Recently everything I have been cooking has been a disaster so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best with the bread. In true, present, Kate style I left out a key ingredient...salt. I didnt realise how key it was until I tasted the bread. It rose well, it had a fabulous crust and soft inside but tasted like, well, baked flour and water. A good lesson for me in the inhancing qualities of salt.
But the process was simple and made the kitchen smell unbelievable, it was worth doing for that alone.
I will definaltely bake the bread again, this time with salt and a little more concentration as Ive come to the conclusion thats my problem: too many little jobs going on ( and little people around) at the some time. So I need to choose my moments better.
I will post a new recipe for us over the next few days

8 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

Well it looks absolutely perfect if that's worth anything!

26 February, 2007 20:46  
Blogger Kate said...

Thanks Jer!

27 February, 2007 07:34  
Blogger Elaine said...

kate, what grain did you sprinkle on top of the bread? oats?

27 February, 2007 07:36  
Blogger Jer said...

Elaine and Kate -- did you use All Purpose Flour or Bread Flour? Based on your experience with the recipe which flour do you recommend we use?

27 February, 2007 10:39  
Blogger Kate said...

Elaine I used wheat bran.I had it for some muffins that I made for the children, it worked quite well.
Jer I used bread flour but Italian 00 is the best if you can get it. It has the finest grain and perfect for all kinds of baking.

27 February, 2007 11:34  
Blogger Elaine said...

I used bread flour. Nigella always references Italian 00 flour. Haven't been able to find it yet.

27 February, 2007 13:14  
Blogger Jer said...

I've never heard of italian 00 but always love a search challenge. Will let you know what I come up with. I think I'm going to like this bread recipe.

27 February, 2007 20:02  
Blogger Elaine said...

Definitely spread a very generous amount of flour over the towel before placing the dough on it. cath and i both had problems removing the dough from the towel.

01 March, 2007 19:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home