Thursday, December 28, 2006

Ode to Bill

Ashley gave me my first Bill Granger cookbook. Before the rest of Kate's cookbooks arrived from her Sydney move, she had decided Bill's Open Kitchen would keep her company in the meantime. The meals she and Bill introduced me to were all so simple, clean and refreshing. From the Grilled Chicken with Chickpea Salad where sumac was introduced to me, the Mushrooms on Toast, open faced chicken sandwich, to the vietnamese chicken salad. So I ultimately blame Kate for my secret/not-so-secret obsession with mr. bill. FYI, his new cookbook, Bill Granger Every Day, just came out if you can get your hands on it in the U.S. of A. Kate, if you see it, thumb through it for me and tell me how delicious he was...hahahha...just kidding (not really kidding).

This is a great recipe I found when trying to use a can of lump crabmeat I splurged on one evening...and love at first bite. Blue Star lump crabmeat is by far my favorite canned crabmeat brand. But I couldn't find any this time. So I'm trying Phillips Lump crabmeat brand this time. A super fast food meal as long as you have the ingredients in house.

SPAGHETTINI WITH CRAB, LIME AND CHILLI
From Bills Sydney Food
Serves 2.

150g crab meat
Juice and zest of 2 limes
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped spring (green) onions
1 small red chilli, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
200g spaghettini
*I 1/2-ed the amount of citrus and zest because it was too much for me.

Place crab, lime and lemon juices, lime zest, garlic, parsley, spring onions, chilli, sea salt and pepper in a bowl and stir in olive oil to combine. Taste to adjust the seasoning.

Cook spaghettini in rapidly boiling salted water in a large saucepan, accoring to manufacturer's instructions. Drain well.

Toss pasta into crab mixture and serve in individual bowls.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

You know I don't know Bill Granger well but I am definitely interested in learning more about him. Are these books you mention your favorite of his?

31 December, 2006 03:20  
Blogger Elaine said...

if i must choose, i think my most used out of his 4 would have to be...bill's open kitchen

01 January, 2007 16:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home