Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Elaine: Beef Stock

One hour of roasting the short ribs and oxtails with the veggies on a sheet pan was one reason why my stock was so extra tasty. After transferring all the roasted morsels into the pot, I deglazed the sheet pan by pouring boiling water over the caramelized crunchies and making sure every bit went into the big pot. I added a couple peppercorns but didn't want to turn it to frenchy with the herbs since I knew I wanted to use it for Nyeng-Myun. I simmered the bones for 4.5 hours. The first night I used the rib meat and stock for the Taiwanese Beef Noodle soup that Cath posted a while back.

This evening, I made my Nyeng-Myun. So fast and easy when you have the ingredients. It was the perfect dish to enjoy the stock because its such a simple noodle dish that features the stock. Next time, I'll definitely take the extra time to freeze some stock into ice cubes to make the noodle soup ICE cold. I also didn't make it spicy enough for my taste. Instead of korean pear, I thinly sliced some granny smith apple on my kyocera ceramic blade mandoline (love this tool...small, light and really easy to clean). I forgot to take the pic with the egg in the dish because I was too anxious to eat it. After I stopped for a second to lift up my head to breathe from inhaling my Neng-Myun, I realized my eggies were still waiting for me on the stove. I'd totally make this again. There is no way to get such tasty stock out of a can. And the frozen stock is too expensive to touch...granted buying short ribs and oxtail ain't no bargain either. Looking forward to using the rest of the oxtail and stock for some Beef Mushroom Barley soup.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

It looks delicious and I'm hungry for some right now! So glad it turned out so yummy. I hope Sammy was eating up that delicious soup with you. I can see mommy and son home alone together eating some homemade beef stock soup on a fall Chicago night, smiling at one another every few minutes. I think that homemade beef stock is much more worth the effort than homemade chicken stock because of how strong the flavors are. I usually only make chick stock if making chick soup. Otherwise its Swansons Natural Goodnness for me. But I always love good homemade beef stock.

19 October, 2006 13:01  
Blogger Elaine said...

We just regularly have roasted chicken so its easy to just throw the carcass in a pot with some veggies and herbies and freeze it for a rainy day. I'm torn between Swansons and College Inn. I'll have to buy me some Swansons and do a taste test again.

Here's the recipe I used for the Mushroom Barley soup. Sam and I had a hearty lunch. Such a treat with pieces of oxtail I tore off the bone that was left over from the stock.

MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
2 T olive oil or butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 large carrots, chopped
1 large celery stalks, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed

2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4-5 cups canned vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
leftover meat from broth

Heat olive oil/butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and barley. Sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 10-15 minutes.

Add flour to pot and stir for a few minutes. Gradually mix in broth. Bring soup to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until barley is tender and soup is beginning to thicken, about 40 minutes. Added pieces of oxtail in the middle of cooking the soup since it just needed to be warmed up. Mix in parsley and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I thought it tasted better next day since the barley got to sit in the broth overnight.

19 October, 2006 13:51  
Blogger Catherine said...

Yummy! Makes me excited to make mine.

19 October, 2006 15:01  
Blogger Kate said...

Me too!

20 October, 2006 12:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"throw the carcass in a pot...and freeze it for a rainy day"?? Elainie, isn't there a more appetizing way to say that? Haha =).

My Ate is preparing her beef stock right now -- yum, yummmy!

27 October, 2006 22:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home