Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mont Blanc Update

Pete's mom Jane is a wonderful cook. A few nights ago she served a delicious dessert that had a very similar flavor and texture to the mont blanc we made last month. When I asked for the indgredients I was pleased to recognize the egg whites, sugar and cream from our mont blanc recipe! I love how this cooking group has allowed me to recognize techniques and foods I was not familiar with before.

For those of you who have not yet made the mont blanc yet I wanted to share with you Jane's method for freezing the mont blanc as I thought if was quite clever and made for a lovely presentation. She lined a bread pan with saran wrap (enough saran wrap so that it was hanging over the sides). Then she put the mouse into the bread pan and let it set in the freezer. When she was ready to serve it she flipped it onto a cutting board (and the saran wrap allowed it to come out very easily and for it to hold its shape when it was flipped over). The result was a frozen mont blanc in the shape of a loaf of bread. She then cut the loaf into 1-1.5 inch slices (similar to how you would cut a loaf of banana bread) and served the slices with rasberry coulis drizzled atop. The method of freezing it into a loaf and then slicing made for a really nice presentation. I think it would be especially nice with our mont blanc recipe given we have the brittle surprise on the inside.

1 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

What a great idea. I was actually wondering if Kate had maybe done that with hers since the texture on hers looked kind of Saran-y (and which I thought was really pretty!). I'm finally posting mine in a minute here--sorry for the delay everyone!

09 October, 2006 14:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home