Friday, April 07, 2006

Ashley: Pizza

In order to stay true to my main mission these days (cleaning out the pantry for the move), I decide to attack my stash of whole wheat flour for my pizza dough. A few months agod I picked up an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" from my neighborhood book co-op. It seems this was one of the first vegetarian/healthy cookbooks published. She has some great whole-grain bread recipes so I decided to try out her Pizza dough recipe as follows:
1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
pinch brown sugar
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
3 or more cups of whole wheat flour

Dissolve yeast in water with sugar. When it bubbles to the surface, add olive oil, pepper and salt. Add flour by the half cup (I didn't need all the flour, but things tend to dry out quickly in Denver). Knead well and set to rise, covered, in a warm place. Let the dough rise once only, about 1 1/2 hours.

For toppings I chose green peppers, mushrooms, and a hot italian sausage. The whole wheat crust turned out great - little more dense than using regular flour and a slight nutty taste! It was great with the heavier/meatier toppings. I'm slightly partial to the brown dough :) !

4 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

You are so good about cooking healthy. I love it. Elaine has raved about your garden in Denver. What a treat! Any photos and any plans to recreate in Seattle?

08 April, 2006 09:02  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hi Jer, Don't let the whole wheat fool ya - I have an incredible sweet tooth! I try my best to cook healthy so I can indulge on occasion! I'm afraid my gardening will have to take a backseat in Seattle for awhile. I'm hoping to get some pots out with at least herbs, etc. We won't be settled until mid-May so it may be a little late for planting some things. You should be able to have a mega garden there in S CA. I've done well with tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant here in CO - don't know how well they will do in Seattle. I don't think it gets warm enough. I'll try to post some past garden photos soon!

08 April, 2006 10:59  
Blogger Elaine said...

Just got back from Trader Joe's today to see if there was anything interesting. I picked up some whole wheat pizza dough for $0.99. Crazy. I made 2 pizzas for lunch. One with chorizo and red onions. And a plain pizza for me. I used Cath's tomato sauce recipe. Extremely easy. I've been throwing that tomato sauce into Sam's meals all week.

08 April, 2006 14:00  
Blogger Jer said...

Gosh would I love to plant a great big garden here. You are right, so many things would thrive given our weather. Unfortunately, real estate costs being what they are here, in particular, near the coast, our backyard area is really quite small and we don't have any room to plant (other than the two citrus trees we planted in bushels and our little herb garden). I'm looking forward to moving to a home at some point with a great big backyard and you'll have to give me great tips from your time in Colorado. I would kill for fresh vegetables and lettuce like you had. Have you been to Pike Market yet? Great seafood obviously, but a bit touristy. The original Starbucks is across the street and that's fun to poke your head into. If you have a sweet tooth, there is a chain of restaurants in Seattle called Cucina Cucina with the best chocolate cake Peter and I have ever encountered ... and believe me, we have been searching hi and lo.

09 April, 2006 20:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home