Friday, July 31, 2009

Pizza Time


Thanks for all the wonderful pizza suggestions Julie and Elaine! Everything was a huge hit and we had so much fun making the pizzas with the kids. We made four (2 on the pizza stone on the grill and 2 on the crisper in the oven). The caramelized onions, crumbled bacon, ricotta and sage was a tremendous hit! As was the one with heirloom tomatoes (which I roasted and sundried for a few hours before putting on the pizza), burrata and mozerella and basil. For our vegetable pizza I found inspiration on Julie's favorite cooking site (Smitten Kitchen) where she had a beautiful photo of a pizza with sliced squash that looked like the ratatouille from said movie. I used squash, bell peppers, artichokes, and ricotta cheese cut with lemon, and sprinkled the top with some truffle oil. For pizza dough and pizza sauce, I picked it up fresh from a wonderful local Italian restaurant right in Old Town. I love how the dough had been made that morning and had just perfectly risen before we made our pizzas. I also made an arugula salad with green beans, potatoes, lemon juice, parmesean cheese and walnuts. Thanks for the inspiration guys -- I think we'll be making many pizzas in our future! I love how easy, fun and delicious it is.


4 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

tried my trader joe pizza doughs on the pizza stone in the oven and the crusts were not crisping up and they were super doughy. mine definitely didn't turn out like julie's from laguna. and she used trader joe's pizza dough. The directions said 425. Jer mentioned 500. I need serious Pizza help!

02 August, 2009 20:01  
Blogger Jerilyn said...

Maybe just try rolling it thinner... And yep, I used a very hot oven and grill. A 500 degree oven worked for me, although I used restaurant bought pizza dough and not Trader Joe's.

03 August, 2009 10:12  
Blogger Kaoru said...

Yum! I totally want to go out and make (& eat) pizza now!!!

11 August, 2009 10:23  
Blogger Julie said...

The hotter the oven the better. 500 or broil is the way to go. I do use trader joes and just roll it our relatively thin--but the real secret is the hot oven and let the pizza stone get nice and prewarmed before you do anything. I turn my oven on like an hour before!!

21 August, 2009 18:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home