Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Polenta Pound Cake

After having the most perfect dessert at this great little Italian restaurant called Union in Evanston, I thought I'd try and recreate it. It was a toasted slice of Polenta Pound Cake served with roasted peaches and whipped cream. So I found this recipe and it was a hit for brunch last weekend with my whole family.

Makes 1 loaf cake, serving 8-10
1/2 lb unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
finely grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
3 eggs, at room temp.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
* I omitted optional ingredients

Preheat  to 350 degrees. 
Brush loaf pan with butter and dust with flour or just line with parchment (which is what I do).
Cream butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy for 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time. Then add extracts and sour cream. Stir in cornmeal followed by flour, baking powder and salt.
Spoon batter into pan. Scatter pine nuts on top (if using pine nuts). Bake about an hour or until the top is firm to the touch. cook completely. Cut 3/4 to 1 in. slices. Toast in your toaster oven until brown at edges. Dust with powdered sugar (optional). I just served it plain. So good!!!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home