Monday, June 26, 2006

Ashley: Gevulde Koek

I decided to try to get caught up on some of my backlog of recipes this weekend. Steve and I hosted our first small dinner party on Saturday and decided on a Thai-ish menu. I thought the little almond cookies would go great with the mango sorbet that I had planned.

My first attempt at the dough yielded a crumbly mess. I think my biggest mistake was using room temp butter. For some reason when I looked at the recipe and it said cream sugar and butter I thought the butter should be at room temp. So, Steve enjoyed eating the dough from that batch.

"Take 2" - I decided to approach the dough as I do pie crust. I used cold ingredients and combined everything in the food processor. I also added just about a Tbs of cold water. I was panicked that the dough would still be crumbly. Next time I would try it without the water. The dough from this round turned out fabulous. I chilled it for about 30 min and it was very easy to roll and cut. I did chill the dough slightly before I popped them into the oven based on Elaine and Jer's advice.


My almond paste was a touch runny and I don't think I put enough stuffing in each little cookie. Nonetheless, the end results were cute delicious cookies!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jer said...

Beautiful! You definitely are up there with Kate for making gorgeous Gevulde Koeks. Can you share your mango sorbet recipe? Mangoes are 10 for $10 at the market right now and I'd love to make something with them.

26 June, 2006 17:57  
Blogger Elaine said...

Ash - I wish we were there for that dinner party. Mango sorbet and those almond cookies look perfect together.
Yumm-O!

26 June, 2006 19:24  
Blogger Ashley said...

Thanks I had to work on them! The mango sorbet is easy.
Make simple syrup with 1 cup sugar 3/4 C water. Dice up 2 mangoes and mix syrup with mangoes and juice from one lime in a food processor or blender. I used more mangos (4 small ones b/c I had found them on sale too :)) and mine was a little too mango-y. I like my sorbets to be a little on the tart side. So I think you could just add more lime juice. Freeze in an ice cream maker until it reached the right consistency. I think mine took about 20 min. I also like making mango salsa for fish with cheap mangoes!

26 June, 2006 19:51  
Blogger Jer said...

Thanks for the mango sorbet recipe. You know I've yet to invest in an ice cream maker. Do you think its worth it? If yes, any recommendations from the group on the best model?

27 June, 2006 18:40  
Blogger Ashley said...

Jer, You can apparently make sorbet by just putting the mix in a shallow pan and scraping it ever so often as it freezes. I've always been an enthusiastic ice cream maker so have always had a machine. I started out with a Krups that ended up not working after awhile. I couldn't get the lid/mixer on the bowl for some reason. Other than that I really liked it. My husband bought me a Kitchen Aide a few years ago that fits on my mixer and it seems to be a bit more sturdy. For most brands and models you have to freeze a bowl 12-24 hours in advance. You can't beat homemade ice cream!

28 June, 2006 00:04  
Blogger Jer said...

Thanks Ashley. I had forgotten that I can get an attachment for my kitchen aid. I might have to try the shallow pan idea. Has anyone in the group tried that without an ice cream maker?

28 June, 2006 21:04  
Blogger Ashley said...

Jer,
I made the almond torte recipe last week for a lunch I hosted....it was great! I topped it with a cherry sauce and some whip cream. I will definitely add it to my staples. It was so easy.

05 July, 2006 13:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home