Sunday, April 30, 2006

Elaine: Spanish Tortilla

Tapas tapas and more tapas. This rainy afternoon, we ran to Pastoral, a cute little cheese shop in my neighborhood, to pick up some tasty bits to compliment the tortilla espanola. I picked up some chorizo, and quince paste to go with my manchego cheese. Cath, I loved your recipe. Mike and I think its the best recipe yet for tortilla espanola. I usually make it with chunks vs slices of potato. i also like how the potatoes rested in the eggs. I did venture to flip the whimpy way...by sliding it off the pan onto a plate and flipping it back into the pan. Worked like a charm. I then wrapped my dates in bacon, threw them in a 400 F oven and baked for 10-15 min until the bacon was crisp, drizzled some maple syrup on top. Made some shrimp with garlic and spicy red chilis. Found some of my favorite anchovy stuffed olives at the market. I wanted to eat the entire jar.

Ended with some satisfying rice pudding. Definitely a great meal Mike and I nibbled on while watching Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Your photographs look great E. You and
Jer managed to get beautifully thick tortillas. I think I need another attempt. Did you use quite a small pan?
Love the quinze paste chorizo combo.

01 May, 2006 05:01  
Blogger Kate said...

Just realised yours was a manchego, chorizo combo...great too. I was paying attention really.

01 May, 2006 05:03  
Blogger Jer said...

All looks and sounds delicious. I'm with you and Mike - I think this is the best recipe we've tried. That bacon and date combo sounds very interesting. I'm not much of a date person but wrap some bacon around it and my opinions of the little fellas could very well change. Looks like a really beautiful spread E.

01 May, 2006 10:15  
Blogger Jer said...

By the way, what were the items in the bottom right part of the photo? Apples? Cheese? I like how they're only peeled part-way. Great idea for dipping.

01 May, 2006 10:15  
Blogger Elaine said...

the wedges at the bottom right corner are slices of manchego cheese with slices of quince paste.

01 May, 2006 10:17  
Blogger Jer said...

Gotcha. Love how that looks. Where did you find quince paste -- or did you make it?

01 May, 2006 11:05  
Blogger Kate said...

Elaine you must think I am mad.
I meant manchego, quinze paste combo.

01 May, 2006 11:52  
Blogger Elaine said...

You can find it in cheese stores usually. I'm sure you can make quince jam by yourself. But I think the paste has some gelatin in it. And as for you kate...I do think you are a little mad but I knew what you meant in the last comment of yours ;)

01 May, 2006 12:05  
Blogger Catherine said...

Yum-O! Can't believe how much stuff you made. Really, I can, of course! : ) Everything looks so good. Love the quince paste/manchego combo too. Just had a little bite for lunch with some leftover tortilla. Okay, I'll post mine too. But you'll see, I got so obsessed with the tortilla aspect of it (made THREE in one week...just great for the old cholesterol!) that the tapas kind of fell by the wayside unfortunately...

01 May, 2006 12:55  
Blogger Catherine said...

BTW...I have some store-bought quince paste here and the ingredients listed are just quince, lemon juice and sugar. I guess it's also called membrillo...

02 May, 2006 09:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home